Hey there hot stuff!! Thank you for popping in today! Four years ago I realized I do not belong in an office and definitely do not like to answer to a boss. So I walked away from it-cold turkey. I was blessed to have a supportive dreamy husband – and by that I mean he’s a dreamer; just like me! (And also dreamy in the hansom prince sense too)
It was a real switch and took a lot of mistakes to learn the discipline it takes to actually get an idea off of the ground. Also I’ve come to the conclusion that I do not like to put on pants. 👖 Seriously-wearing pants is over rated. Now I feel totally at home being a #sahm, leading a super amazing team of essential oil distributors, and rocking a website design business.
Right now my children are ages 11 and 5; it is summer break (no school for them) and this mama needs to get her ISH together to make sure summer runs smoothly and everyone comes out alive. We are having so much fun, spending days upon days in all kinds of summer activities and I know how lucky I am to be able to create these amazing memories. Buuut it is not all sunshine and rainbows.
Of course, I have my days where I am overwhelmed but honestly I would not trade any of it. Even just thinking of going back to a 9-5 completely crushes my soul, I’m talking breaking out in hives and a cold sweat. I know I will never get these moments back with my family so I intend to make the most of it.
The stuff that gets me is the lack of a break. I have two tiny humans that would want to consume more snacks even if I set up a snack cart outside of their bedrooms. They bicker, they love, they crash stuff in the house, did I mention they want snacks? Ya the snacks-GOOD LORD THE SNACKS it never ends!!! I have to be very intentional with my time which means I need to implement a daily plan. If I do not my children are like sharks in the water and I’ve just got a paper cut. They devour my day and it usually ends with me thinking about breaking open a bottle of wine by 4pm. Who am I kidding-it is probably more like noon. #keepingitrealherefolks Right now with my routine I prefer to not shower until after my husband gets home and sometimes he comes home and I’m still in my pajamas. Usually to that all I can say is 🤷🏻♀️ “Are the kids alive? Welllll there ya go” and he looks at me like 🙄 and then we eat our dinner and share about our day #mewithaglassofwineinhand. Summer can be very overwhelming for stay at home moms so I raise a toast to all of you just getting by mamas out there 🍷.
The summer is hard with kids but being a #mompreneur you hold all of the cards. You can enjoy as much or as little of your summer as you wish. NO one is going to tell you where and when to work if you do not want to and THAT my friends is the FREEDOM you feel when you are and entreprenure. There definitely is a not-so-glam side to being a #momboss but golly gee wiz there are a whole lot of amazing things that come from working for yourself. Summer time is for traveling, summer is for day trips and pool days, and having cocktails and play dates with your mom friends. Summer is for laughing, growing, reading and working on self improvement and summer is to recharge. In order for me to really embrace summer I had to learn to schedule my time, plan out my work load, automate what I could automate and soak in every moment with my sweet babies that I could. A mom boss is seriously the most amazing job that I could have ever asked for. I’ve never felt so much freedom in my life. I’ve never felt more at peace with myself and my journey then I have at this very moment. All of my struggles and all of my life experiences has lead me to be exactly where I am today.
Let’s get specific – because saying “have a routine” is all fine and dandy, but what does that actually LOOK LIKE? So here’s a glimpse into my day to day.
My routine that keeps me sane:
- Get up before everyone else on the days I want to work
- Coffee, 1 maybe 2 cups ☕️
- While I sip my coffee I get my 10-15 minutes of social media out of the way. 📱 Catch up on gossip then I put the phone away!
- Write my to do list and list EVERYTHING that I would love to see happen📝
- Prioritize the list and number the items keeping in mind item 1-3 are your MUST ACCOMPLISH items✔️
- For my work items I put down a time frame to work on the items keeping in mind if the kids will be awake or not ⏰
- Once the kids are awake; we do breakfast together and chat about our activities we would like to do as a family that day. Some days they just want to chill. Some days they want a friend to come over or a pool day. This is why I number my list and adjust accordingly. If i’m going to be gone for the afternoon at say the pool or entertaining another child then I can tell them how many minutes mommy needs at the computer then we can do our fun activities. If the kids are having a chill day I go by the feel of the day. I tell them how much time I need for my top three items on my list and I make sure to spread it out throughout the day.👩👦👦
- I always break for lunch and make sure I take an hour break no matter what we are up to that day. It is good for the mind and for the kids. If you have more work to do that day you will for sure come back refreshed and ready to rock out those ramining items on your to do list in the afternoon. If you have afternoon plans I feel like the hour lunch lets the kids feel valued and seen. When I work and stretch myself and assume they are doing fine by themselves all the arguing happens and #meanmommy comes out. Totally not their fault but it is a huge eye opener because they are saying, “mommy look at me!” My advice is to always tend to the kids. You only get this short time with them so cherish it. Work can wait. If you have to, work while everyone is sleeping or go to bed early and get up extra early the next day. 🍽
- Only stretch yourself with work load MAX one night a week if you have to get some work done after everyone goes to bed. Having a good nights rest is key to being wonder woman so I do not suggest this because most kids are early risers and whether you want them to or not they are coming in after you as soon as their little eyes open. 😴 And you know the rule – the night you stay up late working is the night Angelbaby gets the stomach bug and is up all night.
Being a mom is hard. Being a working mommy that stays at home is even harder. The summer is all about balance and enjoying those kiddos. Work CAN WAIT. It is so hard to hear, especially when you are just starting out and you have a tenacious drive. It is HARD to slow yourself down; but when you look back, you’ll be happy you paced yourself. 💜 Here are some programs that help me automate my summer #balance #automate
Programs I use to automate my life:
17 Hats helps me with billing, emails, & workflow. It can take a bit to get it set up with your templates and such but it saves me! You can load in your projects and clients and really keep track of progress across different projects. This helps me with my web design business ONLY.*
Grum helps me with my Instagram scheduling! I Love this platform! It allows me to schedule out my posts from my computer. 💕 I take one day a week and dedicate it to social media and Grum is a key part of that!
Cinchshare helps me schedule my classes on line for my essential oils group and on my personal page. I can run an entire class and not even be home! This program also has a connection with Canva where you can easily create graphics! It seriously rocks my #automatedlife
I hope these help you this summer. My advice is take little bits of this blog post, implement it into your own life and tweak it where you need it. Every household is different and every business is different. The one thing that will remain is your children. There will always be more work than hours in a day, that’s just a given. Embrace the chaos that is the entrepreneur life and rock on with your bad mom self. #cheerstothedreamers 🍷
*Yes, some of the links above are affiliate links. However, I wouldn’t recommend them if I didn’t use them and find them helpful, myself.